Barcelona’s popular Bicing service was recently enhanced by the addition of an iPhone app, which uses GPS to pinpoint the user’s location and help them find a convenient bike station for pick-up or drop-off, saving time on both ends. The app also displays Google Maps with interactive navigation. In the first two months alone, the program registered over 30,000 users.
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
How IT Can Help the World Go Oil-Free | Greenpeace International:
Friday, 20 August 2010
El área metropolitana acumula unidades robadas al Bicing - Barcelona - El Periódico:
- half of the 6000 bikes have been stolen at least once
- 200 bikes show up in Sant Adrià del Besòs every month
Wednesday, 11 August 2010
Yesterday bicing tried to upgrade the computer system of the stations and the website, but had to revert to the old version after discovering problems. Annoying as this is, it does not really surprise anyone dealing with computers. The news sites see it as a bigger problem though:
- El Pais: El fiasco del nuevo Bicing
- El Periodico: El Bicing vuelve a funcionar en todas las estaciones pero con el sistema antiguo
- Bicing statement: Restablecimiento Del Servicio.
- RSS feed for their bicing news
- API to access the station data (current and historical)
- Bring the English version back
- Better and faster station map on their website, should include bicycle lanes too
Tuesday, 10 August 2010
Thursday, 5 August 2010
Via HuffingtonPost.com from the Denver Post : American politicians are always good for a laugh:
Republican gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes is warning voters that Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper's policies, particularly his efforts to boost bike riding, are "converting Denver into a United Nations community."
"This is all very well-disguised, but it will be exposed," Maes told about 50 supporters who showed up at a campaign rally last week in Centennial.
"This is bigger than it looks like on the surface, and it could threaten our personal freedoms,"
Wednesday, 4 August 2010
There are controls all over town, so be care not to skip a red light (which you shouldn't do anyway). I wish they would take that much attention of the motorists. El Periodico also has an article about it.
|Controls on Passeig de Sant Joan on Tuesday|